Almond sponge cake, honey mustard crème anglaise
For the crème anglaise
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 2 tbsp. superfine sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Maille mustard with honey to your taste
For the cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup demerara sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- ¾ cup flaked almonds
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
Fred SirieixFred Sirieix is the General Manager at Galvin at Windows, the Michelin-starred restaurant at the London Hilton on Park Lane. Fred has over 20 years of experience at top London restaurants including Le Gavroche, Sartoria, and Brasserie Roux.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 8-inch baking pan; set aside.
- For Crème Anglaise, bring cream and milk to a gentle boil in small saucepan. Combine superfine sugar and egg yolks with wire whisk in small bowl. Stir into saucepan and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Pass the mix through a “chinois” or strainer. Chill mix and add the Maille mustard with honey to your taste.
- For the cake mixture, cream butter with demerara sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in flour. Pour into prepared baking pan, then top with almonds.
- Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Before serving, dust, if desired, with confectioners sugar and with the crème anglaise in a jug on the side.