Baked White Butter Beans in tomato sauce
Prep time: 75 minutes
Chunky and full of flavor and nutrients white beans can be an easy and delicious dish to satisfy any guest or family member.
- 500 grams Dried large white Butter beans
- 500ml Tomato passata
- 2 tablespoon Maille Dijon Original mustard for the classic version or Maille Dijon original and white wine for the gourmet version
- 2 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 bunch of celery leaves
For the topping
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 200 grams feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Place the dried beans in 3lt of water to soak over night
- The next day change the water and boil for 40 minutes occasionally skimming the top to remove the froth and drain into a deep roasting dish
- Chop the onions and garlic and sweat in a saucepan, add the tomato passata, mustard, oregano and chopped celery leaves, stir well and bring to the boil
- Smear the sauce over the beans, add salt and pepper, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes
- Serve warm or chilled with herbs, feta cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
You can also use canned beans, simply ensure you wash and drain well.