Beef Skillet Pie
Recipe by: HungryCoupleNYC
Prep Time: 30 minutes
cook Time: 45 minute
Total time : 1 hour 35 minutes
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 Tablespoons shortening, chilled
- 1 Teaspoon Maille Dijon Originale Mustard
- 1/2 Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 Cup ice water
For the Filling:
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup low-sodium beef stock
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon Maille Dijon Originale Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water for brushing over pastry
- Add the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, unsalted butter and shortening to a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the mustard and cheddar cheese and pulse a few more times. Pour in the ice water and pulse until the mixture forms a dough ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Add the ground beef to a large oven-proof skillet or cast iron pan (I used a 10" cast iron) and brown for a few minutes. Remove the beef to a plate but leave any grease in the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan along with the diced onions, carrots and bell pepper. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes until the vegetables soften. Stir in the flour and then slowly stir in the beef stock, milk, mustard and salt.
- Add the ground beef back into the pan and continue cooking for a few minutes until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to a 10" round and place on top of the beef mixture in the pan. Cut a couple of slits, brush with the egg wash and bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the pastry is lightly browned.