Beetroot, Mustard & Fennel Hors D’oeuvres
Recipe created by: moodymixologist.com
Servings: 24 hors d’oeuvres
- 24 whole wheat crackers
- 3 cooked baby beets (often available packaged in the natural foods section of grocery stores)
- 1 small fennel
- ¼ cup Maille Old Style Mustard
- ⅛ cup crushed walnuts
- If you are not able to find pre-cooked baby beets, remove stems and greens from three small beets. Wash and then steam beets for about 30 minutes or until tender, then peel.
- Using a sharp knife, slice beets thinly, about 8-10 slices per beet, and set aside.
- Wash a fennel bulb and pat dry. Remove stalks and reserve fronds. (Stalks can be frozen for later use in a broth or cooked alongside dishes like fish.)
- Cut the fennel bulb in half and remove core. Using a vegetable peeler, shave thin slices from the bulb and set aside.
- Place walnuts in a small bag and use a rolling pin to crush into small pieces. In a small bowl, combine Maille Old Style Mustard
- Arrange crackers on a platter and top each with a dollop of crème fraîche
(about ½ tsp), one thin beet slice, about ¼ tsp of the walnut mustard mixture, and a curl of shaved fennel. Top each with a fennel frond. Serve immediately. (Leftover shaved fennel works beautifully in a salad with arugula, lemon and olive oil and can be topped with any extra beet slices or walnuts!)
This recipe has been conceived to pair with The Perfect Martini