Crab Cakes with Dijon Aioli
Recipe by: Runway Chef
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-24 minutes
Servings: 11-12 cakes
For the crab cakes:
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons Maille Dijon Originale Mustard
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried onion powder
- ½ cup bread crumbs (herbed or plain both work)
- 1 pound crab meat
- Oil for frying
For the aioli:
To make the aioli:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Sauce can be made 24 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container until serving.
To make the crab cakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, crack the egg and whisk until beaten. Next, stir in the mustard, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice and spices with the beaten egg. Fold in the bread crumbs and crabmeat and mix until everything is combined.
- Scoop out about ¼ cup of crab mixture, shape it into a ½ inch thick patty and set aside. Repeat with remaining mixture. At this point you can either store the crab cake patties (see notes) or proceed to cook them.
- Over medium heat, fill a skillet with about a ¼ inch of oil. Let it heat for a few minutes, just until it starts to glisten on the surface. Add in crab cake patties (cook in batches of 3 or 4) and fry on each side for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined cooling rack to drain excess oil. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top right before serving with a side of aioli.
Crab cake mixture and patties can be made up to 24 hours in advance of being cooked. After forming the patties, place them in a single layer in an airtight container, store them in the refrigerator, and then just remove them right before frying.