Gravadlax of Salmon with Lime Sorbet
- - 1 large orange
- - 1 medium lemon
- - ¼ cup coarse sea salt
- - ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- - 1 tbsp. coriander seeds, crushed
- - 1 tsp. white peppercorns, crushed
- - 2 bunches dill, chopped (divided)
- - 2 lb. skin-on salmon fillets, pin bones removed
- - ½ cup water
- - 1 ½ cups sugar
- - 1 cup fresh lime juice (about 8 to 10 limes)
- - 1 tbsp. chopped dill
- - Splash of tequila
- - ¼ cup Maille Dijon Originale
- - ½ cucumber, peeled into thin strips
- - 1 medium head fennel, trimmed and peeled into thin strips
Galton BlackistonGalton Blackiston is an English chef, born in Norfolk. Morston Hall where Galton resides has been recognised as both a great English hotel and restaurant and named in the top 100 restaurants in the UK. Galton has held a Michelin star for 14 years and become UK Craft Guild of Chefs ‘Chef of the year’, East Anglian Chef of the Year and fellow of the craft guild of chefs.
- Grate peel from orange and lemon and squeeze to get juices; set aside.
- Combine sea salt, brown sugar, coriander seeds, peppercorns, 1 bunch chopped dill and orange and lemon peel in medium bowl. Spread ½ of the salt mixture into non-aluminum baking dish. Add salmon, skin side down, then top with remaining salt mixture. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours, turning at least once.
- Bring ½ cup water and sugar to a boil in medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, then stir in lime juice, 1 tablespoon dill and tequila; let cool. Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Keep frozen until ready to serve.
- Remove salmon from salt mixture, reserving liquid. Rinse salmon to remove any remaining salt; pat dry and set aside.
- Combine remaining 1 bunch chopped dill, orange and lemon juices and Maille Mustard in small bowl.
- Return salmon to baking dish with liquid, skin-side down, then brush with Mustard mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate an additional 48 hours, basting salmon with Mustard mixture every day.
Remove salmon from Mustard mixture and thinly slice. Serve with cucumber, fennel and lime sorbet.