Middle Eastern Potato and Caramelized Onion Bourekas (Turnovers)
Recipe by: HungryCoupleNYC
Prep Time:20 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 Egg
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup Maille Dijon Originale
- 1 Egg plus 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- 1 Tablespoon everything bagel seasoning or sesame seeds
- Add the olive oil, butter and diced onion to a large skillet or, ideally, a cast iron pan. Cook on medium low heat, stirring often, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the onions caramelize and deepen in color.
- While the onions are caramelizing, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until fork tender. Drain and mash well with a potato masher. Stir in the cooked onions, check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, stir in the egg.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out the sheets of puff pastry sheet to 12" x 12" and cut out 12 squares of 3" each. If you'd like to make them larger, cut 9 squares of 4" each.
- Brush each square with Maille Dijon Originale, place about a teaspoon of the potato mixture in the center of each square, fold over on a diagonal and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the pastry is a light golden brown. Serve hot with additional mustard.