Prep Time: 15 minutes
Marinate time: 1 hour
A New Orleans classic, this muffuletta sandwich is made with a quick and easy olive salad using Maille Old Style Mustard, Italian charcuterie, and provolone cheese piled high on a sourdough loaf. Serve it with Maille Original Cornichons for garnish and you have the perfect summer sandwich, great for an afternoon lunch or a casual gathering with friends.
- 1 cup mixed olives, pitted, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped giardiniera
- 3 tablespoons Maille Old Style Mustard
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 16-ounce sourdough loaf, Italian loaf, or French bread loaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound variety of sliced deli meat (sopressata, mortadella, capocollo, etc.)
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Maille Original Cornichons, for garnish
- Combine chopped olives and chopped giardiniera in a small mixing bowl. Add Maille Old Style Mustard, capers, and minced garlic, and stir.
- Mix in olive oil and set aside.
- Slice sourdough loaf in half, lengthwise.
- Spread the Maille and olive mixture on both sides of bread and season with dried oregano.
- Arrange half of the sliced deli meat across the bottom half of the bread. Top with cheese. Add more Maille Old Style Mustard if desired.
- Top the remaining slices of deli meat across the top of the cheese, then carefully place the top slice of bread on the meat to close the sandwich.
- Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and let it sit for at least one hour, up to 2 hours so that the Maille and olive mixture can soak into the bread.
- Unwrap and cut the sandwich into quarters. Serve with Maille Original Cornichons on the side and enjoy.