Roasted Fennel Beet Salad with Homemade Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
Recipe created by Kristina Todini, RDN | ForkInTheRoad.com
Servings - 4
Roasted Fennel Beet Salad
- 4 beets, red and golden
- 2 fennel, trimmed and cored
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
Homemade Honey Mustard Vinaigrette with Maille Mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Maille Old Style Mustard
- Juice of one orange
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For Roasted Fennel Beet Salad
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- To roast beets: wash beets and place in a large glass baking dish filled with a small layer of water. Cover with aluminium foil and bake until soft and a fork can easily spear through, about 40 minutes. Let cool and sliced into cubes.
- To roast fennel: toss trimmed and cored fennel with olive oil and sea salt, then bake in a glass baking dish until soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- To build salad: arrange mixed greens, cooled beets and fennel, and shallot slices on a plate. Toss with Homemade Honey Mustard Vinaigrette (see recipe below).
Fork Homemade Honey Mustard Dressing
- Combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, Maille Old Style Mustard, juice of one orange, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small glass mixing bowl.
- Whisk until well combined and toss with salad.
Prep Ahead: roast the beets and fennel and prepare the homemade dressing up to two days ahead of time to make preparing salad easier when ready to eat.
Leftovers and Storage: store this simple winter salad in a glass food storage container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Nutrition notes: this recipe is completely plant-based and features many vegetables that are easily found in winter months. It is high in fiber, potassium, and plant-based protein and features mustard as an emulsifier, which binds together the homemade honey mustard vinaigrette.