Guinea Fowl Consommé
For the stock (makes 16 cups)
- Bones and giblets of one whole guinea fowl
- 20 cups of cold water
- 21/2 of carrots chopped
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, cut in to large chunks
- 1 bouquet garni made with thyme, leek and bay leaves
- Pinch of salt
For the consommé
- 16 cups of guinea fowl stock
- 1/2 of diced guinea fowl meal
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 finely diced onion
- 1/8 finely diced carrots
- 1/8 finely diced leek
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- 1/2 bunch of chervil
- 1/4 finely diced tomatoes for acidity
- Pinch of salt
- Handful of peppercorns
FERRANDI ParisLa Maison Maille has partnered with FERRANDI Paris, one of France’s leading professional culinary training schools, to provide the definitive techniques that a seasoned food lover should ensure is in their culinary repertoire to make their meals even more memorable.
- To make the stock, place the bones in a large saucepan with the water.
- Bring to the boil and skim off any fat and impurities.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and a pinch of salt.
- Add the bouquet garni and simmer for two hours.
- Strain through muslin and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, make the consommé by mixing the diced guinea fowl with the egg white in a bowl.
- Add the diced vegetables, with the exception of the pepper and chervil, and mix together.
- Add the meat mixture to the chilled stock.
- Mix continuously with a spatula on a gentle heat, making sure that the egg white does not stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Stop stirring when the mixture begins to go pale.
- As it starts to gently boil, create a well in the center of the crust, which has formed on the surface.
- Using a ladle, sprinkle the crust surrounding the well with the liquid from the center. Continue doing this for about 30 minutes and season.
- Place the chervil, salt and peppercorns in a muslin cloth stretched over a sieve.
- Delicately filter the consommé by ladling it into the muslin, being careful to only take the liquid from the center of the well and none of the impurities from the crust.
- Your consommé is ready. Serve in an elegant glass bowl with a tomato foam and micro herbs so your guests can see its perfect clarity.